CityTeam is a Christian non-profit dedicated to supporting communities by meeting
immediate needs and enabling lasting solutions for those struggling with poverty,
homelessness, and addiction. Being part of CityTeam is not just a career but a calling.
Whether we’re working on the frontlines in Programs or working behind the scenes in
Support Services, we feel privileged to use our education, experience, and gifts to love
people and bring glory to God.
The CityTeam @ Work Assistant is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the
Learning Center classroom of CityTeam @ Work in San Jose. The CityTeam @ Work
Assistant must have high expectations and believe all students can learn. The CityTeam @
Work Assistant is responsible for managing the classroom environment, student behavior,
and processes. Most importantly, the CityTeam @ Work Assistant will stay on top of student
progress and individualized learning plans, motivating students to pursue all that God has
for them. The CityTeam @ Work Assistant will need to be adept at communicating with
people from a variety of backgrounds and be comfortable working with those who are poor,
struggling with addiction, and transitioning from jail. You will be part of a cohesive team
which includes the CityTeam @ Work Program Manager, Career Specialist, and Housing &
Career Specialist. You will also collaborate with student Case Managers, Program
Managers, and other CiyTeam staff. No two days are ever the same, so we are looking for
someone who can pivot quickly and handle conflict in a Christ-like manner. We are
expanding our programs, so our ideal candidate will take initiative, be flexible in the
unknown, and do whatever it takes to help the team.
The CityTeam @ Work Assistant is a part-time non-exempt position wrapped up in a
Christian environment that values Teamwork, Accountability, Humility, Innovation, and Joy.
1. Oversee Learning Center procedures and classroom management.
2. Responsible for classroom processes, including conducting intakes, creating
online accounts, troubleshooting computer issues with students, correcting and
recording student work, and creating reports.
3. Model and hold students accountable for appropriate Christ-like behavior.
4. Interview and assess students to establish Individualized Learning Plans (ILP).
5. Provide instruction and materials best suited to each student’s needs based on
their ILPs, including using appropriate teaching styles to accommodate working
with individuals and small or large groups.
6. Prepare high school track students to take the high school equivalency exam by
assigning them remediation activities including but not limited to one-on-one
tutoring, enrollment in online learning systems such as Khan Academy, Read
Theory, etc. Be informed and able to advise students about their academics, as
they relate to their employment goals.
7. Coordinate, schedule, and supervise volunteers.
8. Coordinate guest speakers, teachers, and presenters to help educate, prepare,
and inspire our students. Set up, troubleshoot, and ensure successful video, data,
and voice connectivity during guest presentations.
9. Collaborate with CityTeam @ Work Team to assist students in attaining proficiency
and professionalism in career readiness and career development.
10. Collaborate with CityTeam @ Work Team, Case Managers, and other CityTeam
staff to support all students.
11. Efficiently use Google Drive and other Google G-Suite apps for daily use to create,
track, and report data.
12. Manage multiple projects, prioritize tasks, and intelligently delegate.
13. Advocate for CityTeam with those in your circles of influence.
14. Special projects and additional tasks as assigned by supervisor.
PLEASE NOTE: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform
each of the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience
● Associate Degree or equivalent experience in related field
● Minimum 3-years of professional work experience
● Computer literate and proficient with all aspects of Google G-Suite apps
● Proficiency conducting online research, preparing presentations, and speaking to
large or small groups
● Proficient using and assisting others with a variety of computer programs,
websites, and software; comfortable trouble shooting basic hardware issues
● Outstanding command of the English language, especially writing professional
documents and business correspondence
Preferred Education and Experience
● Career Development, Career Coaching, or Career Counseling experience
● Experience with curriculum development and the ability to maximize resources by
individualizing content for each student’s needs
● Former lived-experience in areas of homelessness, addiction/recovery, or re-entry
● Familiarity with college admission processes, applications, and financial aid
● Familiarity with Learning Management Systems (LMS)
● Teaching experience
● Valid CA Driver’s License with a clean record
● Stand or sit for prolonged amounts of time
● Walk, bend, twist, & kneel
● Talk and hear
● Occasionally lift and move up to 20 pounds
● Finger and hand dexterity to feel, handle, and operate objects, tools or controls,
and to reach with hands and arms
● Should be able to type accurately with a minimum 45-correct words per minute
● Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision,
color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
● This job operates in a classroom environment
● This role routinely uses standard office and classroom equipment such as
computers, printers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines
● Typical work hours will be Monday-Thursday 10 am-4 pm
● This position will occasionally attend special events in the evening or weekend
Additional Eligibility Qualifications for CityTeam Ministries
● Must have an intimate, personal relationship with Jesus Christ
● Must be active in a local Christian body of believers or at least pursuing community
with other Christ-followers
● Must have compatible theology on major issues of CityTeam's Statement of Faith
● Must be committed to serving God and the body of Christ
CityTeam @ Work Assistant
Job Title: CityTeam @ Work Assistant
Area/Location: CityTeam @ Work / San Jose, CA
Reports to: Learning & Career Center Program Manager
Date Submitted for Revision: 12.12.19
Classification: Assistant / Part-time 20 hours per week / Non-Exempt
Salary: Range starts at $18 per hour, DOE